I’m implementing Cognito User Pools for an app and currently adding social providers (Google, Facebook, etc).
The setup process seems pretty straight forward, however the social options did not appear on my hosted ui.
It turned out that I’d missed the last step in the documentation:
– Go to “App Client Settings” (left hand menu under App integration)
– Look for “Enabled Identity Providers” and check any that you want to show
I found this a little unintuitive as I’d expected it to show once it was enabled in the “Identity Providers” section. I probably just need to learn to read ALL of the docs!
I was following the guide provided via the startup.auth.cs link on how to add Google authentication to your app. The problem I hit was that the example types used weren’t available, specifically GoogleOAuth2AuthenticationOptions.
Thankfully the fix fix for this was pretty easy, simply update OWIN via NuGet:
– Right click on your project
– Go to Manage NuGet Packages
– Click on the updates drop down
– Search for OWIN
– Update all of the relevant options
It looks like Google has removed the discussions search filter for some browsers (currently using Chrome Version 32.0.1700.76 m).
Hoping this is a bug and not another part of the “simplicity” trend they’re on at the moment.
Solution #1: Append &tbm paramter to url
A temporary fix is to add “&tbm=dsc” to the end of the search url. SilentEcho has added this script to automate it if you’re going to be using it a fair bit: http://userscripts.org/scripts/reviews/293082
Solution #2: Change Use Agent String
You can also use a user agent string of a browser that it still works for (I’ve heard Opera but haven’t verified).
Solution #3: Sign Out of Google Account
This didn’t work for me, however quite a few people are saying it does the job for them.
Well, today I was looking through the Google Analytics overview of the WhatIBroke.com and I noticed a referral I hadn’t seen before from link.smartscreen.live.com.
I did a bit of Googling and it turns out that this is actually something Microsoft uses within IE and MSN. Apparently, whenever someone clicks on a link in msn the service will check the link against a list of unsafe sites and warn the user if anything is amiss.
It just so happens that I’d sent a link to the blog to a friend on msn – so I guess everything checks out. Here’s a bit of a blurb from the FAQ on Microsoft’s Site:
SmartScreen Filter is a feature in Internet Explorer that helps detect phishing websites. SmartScreen Filter can also help protect you from downloading or installing malware (malicious software).
SmartScreen Filter helps to protect you in three ways:
As you browse the web, it analyses webpages and determines if they have any characteristics that might be suspicious. If it finds suspicious webpages, SmartScreen will display a message giving you an opportunity to provide feedback and advising you to proceed with caution.
SmartScreen Filter checks the sites you visit against a dynamic list of reported phishing sites and malicious software sites. If it finds a match, SmartScreen Filter will show you a warning notifying you that the site has been blocked for your safety.
SmartScreen Filter checks files that you download from the web against a list of reported malicious software sites and programs known to be unsafe. If it finds a match, SmartScreen Filter will warn you that the download has been blocked for your safety. SmartScreen Filter also checks the files that you download against a list of files that are well known and downloaded by many Internet Explorer users. If the file that you’re downloading isn’t on that list, SmartScreen Filter will warn you.