I ran into the following error while using “fetch as Google” and none of my pages were being indexed correctly:
Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a function
It took a while to find a solution but after some Googling I found that GoogleBot currently uses Chrome v41. You can download the mini installer of Chromium v41 which will run in parallel with your existing Chrome version:
After downloading Chromium you can just debug normally via the console. In my case, Chrome v41 didn’t like the following command:
If you’re using a front-end framework like ReactJS, AngularJS or Vue you’ll often just need to add babel polyfill:
npm install babel-core --save-dev
Then add this as the first line in your entry point e.g. index.js:
It’s important that the polyfill import is added as the first line otherwise anything added before it won’t work.
If you’re getting an error about Headers, you may also need to install the following:
npm install whatwg-fetch --save
Add then add this import just below your babel polyfill:
Thanks to tomekrudzki on Reddit for the link to Chromium v41:
Chrome 41 the key to successful website rendering
A team member found an interesting bug today that caused chrome to go non-responsive. The cause was simply dragging a file from the file explorer onto a drag and drop upload area. It is reproducible on every site I’ve tested, including Gmail and Dropbox.
https://mail.google.com Click compose
Click attach files (close any of the annoying popups that appear)
DRAG a number of files from the file selector window to the new message screen (they will start to upload) (IMPORTANT: these need to be dragged from the file selector popup, NOT a new explorer window)
While they are still uploading hit cancel on the file browser window. Browser will go non-responsive
A bug has been reported here:
ctrl + shift + j):
In Chrome, this will let you navigate to each relevant call by clicking the line number in the console window. I’ve found it pretty useful for backtracking through jQuery exceptions.
For more info, check out this Stackoverflow post:
This entry was posted in
Ran into a bit of an issue today where a url was being shortened in Chrome’s console. It turns out that there’s a quick command you can use to copy the full value:
copy into the console window and pass the variable you want to copy as a parameter. This will then be saved to your clipboard for pasting.
Check out this Stackoverflow post for more info:
I use incognito mode at work as a quick test for cookie/caching issues. I ran into a bit of an issue with it this morning after an MOE update yesterday. Using the shortcut (ctrl + shift + n) did nothing, and the tools option showed incognito mode greyed out.
After a bit of Googling I came across a registry value that had been added to prevent incognito mode. The fix for this is pretty simple, just remove the value. There are a few variations on this so you may have to do a bit of digging to find which one has been added to your machine (Run > regedit or C:Windowsregedit.exe).
One additonal note, my unwanted registry key was added during the login process each time I removed it. A quick way around this is to do up a quick batch script to remove it. Just modify my one below to include your registry key and throw it in your startup folder:
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesGoogleChrome /v IncognitoModeAvailability /f
Ran into the following error when trying to open a word document stored on SharePoint today:
The document could not be opened for editing. A Microsoft SharePoint Foundation compatible application could not be found to edit the document.
Unfortunately this appears to be an issue with Chrome, once I switched to IE it all worked fine.