Category Archives: Errors

Tab Key not Working as Expected – Visual Code

Hi everyone,

I ran into a bit of a strange issue with visual code today. Tabs suddenly stopped working for creating an indent. Instead, the focus of the cursor changed.

It turns out that I’d inadvertently toggled a setting that causes the tab key to move focus instead of indenting. The hotkey in windows is ctrl + m.

Thanks to this link for the find: https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/21638

Advertisements

System.Security.SecurityException Failed to negotiate HTTPS Connection – Fiddler

Hi everyone,

I hit the following error when trying to execute a composed request with Fiddler:

[Fiddler] The connection to ‘abc.com’ failed.
System.Security.SecurityException Failed to negotiate HTTPS connection with server.fiddler.network.https> HTTPS handshake to abc.com (for #32) failed. System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception. < The function requested is not supported

All that was required to fix it was to add tls 1.2:

  • Tools
  • Options
  • HTTPS
  • Protocols
  • Add tls1.2 to the end of the list and click ok

Thanks to this link for the info: https://www.telerik.com/forums/some-https-sites-are-unaccessible-when-using-fiddler

Error Number:8152,State:10,Class:16 String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated. – Entity Framework

Hi everyone,

I ran into the following error after adding model validation attributes to a database with existing values:

Error Number:8152,State:10,Class:16
String or binary data would be truncated.
The statement has been terminated.

The solution is pretty straightforward if you’re happy to truncate the values. Simply run the query below, swapping Title for your column name, Products for your table name and 25 for your new column length:

UPDATE Products
SET Title = LEFT(Title, 25)
WHERE LEN(Title) > 25

You should then be able to run update-database without any issues:

PM> update-database
Specify the ‘-Verbose’ flag to view the SQL statements being applied to the target database.
Applying explicit migrations: [201806240741543_product_validation].
Applying explicit migration: 201806240741543_product_validation.
Running Seed method.
PM>

Thanks to David in for his answer on Stackoverflow: https://stackoverflow.com/a/24931522/522859

Multiple Instances of Component Firing Incorrect onChange – ReactJS

Hi everyone,

I ran into a bit of an issue today while trying to render multiple instances of a component on a single page. Each component had a file input that was bound with an onChange event. When triggered the onChange function referenced the first component placed on the page no matter which instance was clicked.

The issue ended up being that the id of the input fields coincidentally overlapped. This meant that there were multiple instances of the field on the page with the same id value. Ensuring that each one was unique resolved the issue.

Took a fair while to narrow this one down so hopefully it’ll be able to help someone else!

Thanks,
Chris

LINQ to Entities does not recognize the method ‘System.Linq.IQueryable

Hi everyone,

I ran into the following error today while attempting to use a raw query with entity framework:

LINQ to Entities does not recognize the method ‘System.Linq.IQueryable…method, and this method cannot be translated into a store expression

I was using FromQuery, and while I’m not too sure what was causing the issue, switching to SqlQuery resolved it:

// Original code
var carList = resp.Db.Cars.FromSql(“SELECT * FROM cars”);
// Changed code
var carList = resp.Db.Cars.SqlQuery(“SELECT * FROM cars”);

Hopefully that’s able to help out anyone else with the issue.

Thanks,
Chris

Where to Import Colors from in MaterialUI – ReactJS

Hey everyone,

I ran into the following error while trying to import colors in MaterialUI:

Module not found: Can’t resolve ‘material-ui/styles/colors’

It turns out that the path to colors changed in V1, so a lot of guides aren’t quite right. All you need to do is change it to the following:

/* import {grey, amber} from ‘material-ui/styles/colors’ Original */
import {grey, amber} from ‘material-ui/colors’ /* New */

Thanks to this Github post for the answer: https://github.com/mui-org/material-ui/issues/6446

Remote Desktop: An authentication error has occurred. – This could be due to CredSSP encryption oracle remediation.

Hi everyone,

I ran into an auth issue with remote desktop today:

An authentication error has occurred.
The function requested is not supported.
Remote computer: XXXX

This could be due to CredSSP encryption oracle remediation.
For more information, see hhtps://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=866660

The solution is to add the May 2018 Windows Security Update on both the remote and local machines. If that’s not possible a registry entry can be added to the local machine to circumvent the issue. This can be done by running the following command in a command prompt as administrator:

REG ADD HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesSystemCredSSPParameters /v AllowEncryptionOracle /t REG_DWORD /d 2

You can also add the entry manually via regedit.

The cause is actually because of a security update in windows. If either the remote or local machine has the update and the other does not the error is triggered. There’s more info available on the following page: https://github.com/stascorp/rdpwrap/issues/480